Wedding Insider and expert milliner Holly of Holly Barker Millinery works with brides on customised creations for the perfect finishing touch to their wedding day look. While headpieces have the potential to overwhelm or detract from the bride’s look, or just miss the wow factor altogether, get it right and it can elevate your whole look to another level. Holly shares her tips for choosing the right headpiece for you.
- Pick a headpiece that complements your gown. First things first – ensure the colour of your headpiece is the same as your gown and details such as beading or lace are the same or similar in order to tie your outfit together. A pop of colour can also work depending on your dress and accessories.
- Choose a style that you are comfortable wearing. The fundamental rule when planning the details of your wedding applies here – stay true to you. Your headpiece should be something you feel is “you” and that you feel comfortable in for the whole day.
- Don’t be afraid to choose a statement piece instead of a veil or statement jewellery. A headpiece can be a beautiful addition to your wedding day look. Many brides take their veil off after the ceremony, so it is lovely to have a statement headpiece on for the remainder of the day.
- Think long term Choose a headpiece that is well made and will last more than just your wedding day. Holly’s headpieces become heirloom pieces, to be passed on to loved ones to treasure for years to come.
- Work with your hair Consider your hair and the hairstyle you are wearing – your headpiece will need to work in with this.
Holly said that ornate details and statement pieces are trending at the moment. “At the moment it is all about opulence and romantic styling,” she said, “There has been a return of long, yet simple, softly flowing veils – veils are very much in demand right now!”
One last piece of advice – throw out the rules and have fun!
“There are really no rules when it comes to weddings,” Holly said, “Above all, it is your day and your style. Choose something you love and wear it with confidence.”
‘Freya’ features gold Swarovski crystals, with wired tendrils on each side featuring freshwater pearls and Swarovski pearls.
‘Fleur’ features a rose gold Swarovksi crystal flower surrounded byhand beaded lace flowers and delicate blush pink beaded tendrils
‘Florence’ is an Italian metallic lace floral vine with Swarvoski crystal flowers.